Do you know Bewakoof has the coolest and hottest prints and patterns on the world wide web? So, we know that one of the trickiest things is to combine prints and patterns to create a look. It can be a bit intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it can add a whole new level of excitement and interest to your wardrobe. It is a fun and exciting way to add a quirk to your wardrobe.
We have answered all your prints and patterns-related questions in this blog. Keep reading and get enlightened on the art of mixing and matching.
What is the Art of Mixing and Matching Prints and Patterns?
When prints & patterns are matched correctly, it can elevate an outfit and create a visually stunning look. However, it’s also easy to go overboard and create a chaotic, confusing mess. This section will unveil the secrets of mixing and matching prints and patterns. Keep reading!
1. Start with a solid foundation.
Start with a base of neutral colors or simple, solid pieces. For example, if you’re wearing a patterned skirt, your mix and match clothing idea could be pairing it with a simple white blouse or a black turtleneck. This will help balance out the prints and prevent your outfit from looking too busy.
2. Stick with a color scheme.
When doing print matching and pattern mixing, it’s important to stick with a cohesive color scheme. Choose two or three colors that work well together and incorporate them into your outfit.
3. Mix prints of different scales.
To create a visually interesting outfit, try print mixing of different scales. For example, pair a small polka dot top with a larger floral skirt. This creates a nice contrast between the two prints and adds dimension to your outfit.
Also read: Print On Print Fashion – Style Tips To Wear Different Types Of Prints
The Do’s & Don’ts of Mixing and Matching Prints and Patterns
Mixing and matching prints and patterns is a very cool way to create unique and eye-catching outfits. However, it can also be one of the trickiest things to get right. In this section, we will explore the dos and don’ts of how to combine prints and patterns:
1. Do: Start with a neutral base
When it comes to understanding how to mix patterns in clothes along with prints, it’s important to start with a neutral base. So, what colors go together? A neutral base can be a solid-colored top or bottom, or even a neutral-colored accessory such as a handbag or shoes.
2. Don’t: Mix too many prints at once
Too many prints at once can create a chaotic and overwhelming outfit. Stick to a maximum of three prints in one outfit and make sure they all work well together.
3. Do: Mix prints of different scales
One of the fashion tips for successfully mixing and matching prints and patterns is to mix prints of different scales. This means pairing a smaller print with a larger print to create contrast and visual interest.
4. Don’t: Mix clashing prints
Avoid mixing prints that are too similar or too different, such as stripes and polka dots or plaid and floral. Stick to prints that complement each other and create a cohesive look.
5. Do: Experiment with texture
Pair a smooth silk blouse with a textured tweed skirt or a plush velvet blazer with a crisp cotton shirt. This will add depth to your outfit and create a more interesting visual experience.
6. Don’t: Forget to balance your outfit
This can be a simple solid-colored top or bottom or a neutral accessory. This will help to ground your outfit and prevent it from looking too busy.
How to Make Sure Your Outfit Doesn’t Look Like a Circus
One of the biggest challenges when it comes to mixing and matching prints and patterns with clothes is making sure your outfit doesn’t end up looking like a circus. Here are some tips on how to make sure your outfit doesn’t look like a circus:
- Stay with the color scheme: Choose a maximum of two or three colors that work well together. Incorporate them into your outfit for coordinating colors for clothing.
- Balance prints with neutral colors: To create classic pattern combinations, use neutral colors to balance out the prints. This will prevent your outfit from looking too busy.
- Mix prints of various measures: This creates a nice contrast between the two prints and adds dimension to your outfit.
- Don’t mix too many prints at once: Don’t use more than three prints in one outfit and make sure they all complement each other.
- Use accessories to tie the look together: Choose accessories in the same color family as your prints, or opt for a neutral accessory such as a black or beige handbag.
Also read: Dressing for Your Body Shape: Tips & Tricks for Every Body Type
5 Tips on How to Master The Art Of Pattern Mixing
Understanding the role of textures and patterns, and using them effectively can help you master the art of mixing and matching patterns. Here are some outfit ideas for print & pattern combinations:
- Geometric patterns like gingham, polka dots, and stripes work well for creating balance and acting as a solid base.
- Floral or movement patterns like zebra stripes, watercolor, tie-dye, and jungle-inspired prints can be used as statement pieces and serve as an anchor for the rest of the outfit. Animal prints can also be considered neutral and solid. These are great outfit ideas for multiple prints in one look.
- Varying the size of the patterns can create a sense of balance in the outfit. And while solids may not be as exciting as patterns, they can be used to break up a busy outfit.
- Accessories, shoes, and outerwear can also tie two different patterns together by creating a common thread.
- It’s important to keep in mind that some textures can act as a pattern themselves, such as a wide-knit sweater that looks like a pattern from afar. In this case, it’s best to consider the textured item as a patterned piece.
Tips for Creating Your Signature Style with Mixed Patterns & Colors
Here are some tips for creating a personal style with mixed patterns and colors:
- Start with a base color: Choose a base color that you love and build your outfit around it. This will help you create a cohesive look that ties all the patterns and colors together.
- Mix patterns and colors in different proportions: Experiment with mixing patterns and colors in different proportions to create a unique and balanced look. For example, try pairing a bold patterned blouse with solid-colored pants, or a subtle patterned scarf with a bright, eye-catching jacket.
- Layer patterns and colors: Layering patterns and colors is a great way to create depth and interest in your outfit. For example, layer a plaid shirt over a polka dot blouse, or a floral skirt with a striped sweater.
- Don’t be afraid to clash: Mixing and matching patterns and colors is all about breaking the rules and creating your unique style. Don’t be afraid to clash patterns and colors that you love, as long as they work well together.
- Add your personal touches: Accessorize your outfit with your personal touches, such as statement jewelry, a bold lip color, or a unique handbag. This will help you express your unique style and make your outfit truly your own.
Also read: 8 Signature Bollywood Designer Dresses
Mixing and matching prints and patterns is a fun and exciting way to add variety to your wardrobe. With these tips, you can do it like a pro and confidently rock your new, bold looks.