Finding your ideal backpack is like finding your ideal pair of jeans – essential, comfortable and just the big-ticket item you need in your collection. Just like movies are incomplete without popcorn, a day-to-day bustle feels super inadequate without a legendary backpack to go along with it.
A good backpack is like your sturdy, dependable friend – that you can count on for everything you need and be your go-to at the right place & right time. Here are some lesser-known fun facts about the beloved backpack that we find super interesting:
- A backpack is also called a ‘rucksack’, ‘knapsack’ or more recently ‘bookbag’.
- The term ‘backpack’ was first coined in the 1910s.
- Before the 1910s, the use of a backpack for academic purposes was practically unheard of and its most common usage was for travel. While today, we do use a backpack for hiking, trekking and travel on a large scale, it is even more so popular in schools and colleges for carrying books, stationery and supplies.
- The first zippered backpack was invented by ‘Gerry Outdoors’ in 1938.
- It is commonly believed that a back-pack like structure first originated long long ago, in the BC era, because at some point there came a need to be able to carry items while also remaining hands-free. Staying hands-free meant being able to hunt, perform agricultural activities, travel and interact with the world, while also carrying something essential or substantial. It also helps that the backpack as a concept divides weight more equitably on both shoulders, making it easy to carry. It was born out of the pure need for its function.
And here we are today – a backpack is still the best way to carry things, whether you are moving for a longer distance or carrying something heavier that needs more support, All these years later, a backpack’s appeal stays the same – its awesome function is unmatched.
Versatile, utilitarian and chic, backpacks bags for travel or academic purposes can add that coziness, familiarity and convenience to any activity. Here are five reasons and situations that make all kinds of backpacks an absolute necessity.
Mobility is the key to everything, honey!
Ah the sweet joys of portability. Now, more than ever, we can all truly appreciate the pleasures of just getting up & going wherever – whenever. And that is exactly the kind of freedom that is the core appeal of what a backpack can offer in normal times. As we all look forward to getting back out there and basking in the joys of mobility once more, here are some of the kinds of backpacks that make moving around the easiest – whether you want to go cross-country trekking or just a little further to the farmer’s market:
- Light-weight hardshell backpacks bags for travel are the perfect daily commute accessory! Keeping your possessions – especially fragile digital items such as tablets and laptops safe between cushioned interiors and a hard, durable shell, these make for the perfect work bag and some of the best laptop bags for men and women alike.
- Backpack-trolley hybrid: I am sure we’ve all had some version of this kind of a backpack in our childhood, but if you haven't, no worries! Let us then introduce you to a particular type of backpack hybrid that is just right for any situation – be it travel or school. Ever had a back-ache due to the weight of your backpack? Did you ever view a smooth ramp at an airport or a tiled corridor at school or college and wished you could just roll and drag your backpack behind you on wheels just like you do with your trolley suitcases to give your back a much needed break? Voila – you need one of these! With back straps and a trolley handle that's well cushioned at the back so it won’t poke you when you’re wearing it, this one comes with those tiny wheels at the bottom that feel like divine intervention when back pain hits on long days. Get one of these – thank us later!
There’s no such thing as ‘too much storage’. Period.
- Large Capacity Travel Duffel: Are you one of those nomads, stricken with wanderlust, who just cannot wait to get back up on their feet and get out there for more adventures in life? This one’s for you, friend! With an ability to sort, organize and fit your entire life on your back, these women’s and mens duffel bags come in varying sizes and capacities to ensure you can just pack-up and be on your way to the next destination in no time!
- Compartmentalized Gym Bags : Unlike your emotions during lockdown period (just kidding), these are compartmentalized and organised to the T! With a clever bottom compartment top store your gym shoes and handy little notches for your headphones, packing up for the gym is easier than ever! P.S: They’re also usually ULTRA lightweight – so much so that you could work-out wearing these gym bags or just go for a nice jog if you wanted!
- Yoga Bags: An offshoot of gym bags, this one has all the same qualities with an added functional element that allows you to carry your yoga mat with you. This one is a one-stop fave for those in the pursuit of fitness with a side of mindfulness and mental calm!
- Waterproof backpacks – made in ultra durable nylon or synthetic polyester, these are the kinds of backpacks that are perfect for going cross-country back-packing and commutes in the monsoon, as they keep your belongings safe from humid and unfavourable weather conditions. Don’t you just love knowing that how many ever rivers you pass or rainfalls you push through, your stuff is dry, safe and secure in your handy waterproof bag!
Backpacks are essentials, yet also too cool for school!
While a backpack is undeniably a functional essential for work, school and college days, it is also a seriously cool fashion statement. With so many options out there, backpacks for women and for men come in a plethora of sizes, styles, colors, prints and patterns. Express your personal style & create a cool factor like no other with these!
- Leather Satchels: A popular trend amongst Vivinkaa backpacks for women, structured leather satchel with minimalistic metallic trims and fastenings goes with any outfit and is an ultra chic work bag option. Not really meant for being a ‘book-bag’, due to leather having its own weight, these backpacks are perfect for carrying a laptop and a few everyday essentials that every working girl needs. P.S: Go for pleather or vegan leather instead of the real thing to rule out animal cruelty if you feel strongly about it. We love a woke queen.
- Fun Printed Backpacks: A college fave and quirky statement, make a statement by styling your casual jeans and t-shirt look with a fun, printed backpack. There are so many options out there to choose from – and ideal way to up the ante on the simplest and most casual everyday outfits! Pair with cool sneakers to maximize that savvy Gen-Z appeal.
- Canvas Backpacks: These college backpacks are chic, lightweight and a retro classic! Get yourself a cool jansport that’ll carry all your books and more to channel a uber-nostalgic 80s & 90s vibe. We LOVE the options that come in pastel shades – on trend and classic as ever!
- Fuzzy fur backpacks: A novelty, a millennial obsession and cute as heck – go for backpacks made in furry, fuzzy material to exude a cute-sy flair. They're light, usually zippered and double up as huggable cushions – KAWAI!
Easy to see & easy to get – never lose a single thing.
I am sure we have all been in that phase where we just CANNOT find a single thing when we need it because our bags are just too enormous! All the endless fishing for keys, looking for pens and trying to find that one tiny item becomes very very difficult in the bottomless pit that some totes or bucket-bags can be. Even with some oval-shaped mens duffle bag options, this can be a real issue.
Backpacks to the rescue! One of our absolute favorite things about backpacks is that it not only provides ample storage, mobility and style, but things are so easy and simple to find because of the way most of these are organized!
- A decent school or carry-on travel back-pack always comes with impeccably organized slots that each have a very specific storage purpose. There are usually standard compartments for pens, notebooks, cell-phones, tablets, laptops, zippered compartments for knick-knacks, inbuilt coin pouch, slots for credit cards and notches to secure cables & headphones. The relief of knowing exactly where to reach for which item is so underrated and makes life that much simpler.
- We would also like to mention see-through PVC bags here, for how easy it is to reach into and find the desired item due to it’s easy see-through utility! And – it's super durable and waterproof on top of it all! If you are uncomfortable with certain personal items being on display, go for a smaller opaque pouch to use within for these items specifically (these bags usually come with one) – and keep the rest out in the see through area. This is a fave when sightseeing or going on a long holiday or travelling for college or work!
Security and safety go hand in hand with backpacks.
Portability today involves carrying many pricey and big-ticket items. It is customary to carry at least one expensive device, such as a tablet or a laptop to work, and no trip is complete without a camera to capture the breath-taking views and adventures. However, without a safe, secure and easy way to carry these items, going anywhere – near or far – becomes a worrisome task! Which is why our love for backpacks goes way beyond how cool it is or how functional it can be – a good, sturdy backpack can actually save you a lot of money in the long run.
- A hard shell or a wired backpack that has crucial compartments, sturdy zippers and is made in a durable material like Nylon, which is waterproof as well, is the way to go if you carry a lot of cameras or shooting equipment. These usually come with a sling for tripods as well and make carrying equipment a safer and easier experience.
- Rectangular or briefcase shaped backpacks are some of the best laptop bags for men and women – they come in thick and hardy leather/pleather materials and have just the right shape to fit a laptop in! These bags generally tend to hold their own shape even when you set it down on a surface, which undeniably helps in ensuring that your devices go through minimal bumps and falls throughout the day!
Just like movies are incomplete without popcorn, a day-to-day bustle or a long awaited trip feels super inadequate without a legendary backpack to go along with it. Also, in the time of crisis, it is always handy to keep an emergency backpack filled with all the essentials, first aid and go-to items ready for precaution!
We absolutely love this functional, sleek & utility-oriented accessory – If we had to pick just one accessory to live with for the rest of our lives – it would most certainly be an accessible and adroit backpack!
Would you organize your bag as per priority? Which of its functionalities do you love best? Let us know your preferences – we love to hear from you!