The summer of 2023 has been quite jaan-leva… With the heat wave sucking the life out of our bodies, we’ve come to realise the impact of climate change. While there are a few things we can do to curb the effects of climate change, that’s a topic for another day. Today, let’s look at something we can do to get instant relief from the scorching heat. Let’s check out the 10 best place to visit in India in summer.
If you’re in India right now, you should feel lucky because this country is blessed with mountains, hills, beaches, forests and other places that can be visited during the summers. What’s more, is that summer vacations are the longest! All the more reason to travel and explore what India has to offer.
Places like Ooty, Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar, Shimla, Manali, etc. are some of the most famous summer tourist places in India. Whether you’re planning a weekend getaway or a week-long trip with your loved ones, check out the list below to know the best place to visit in India this summer.
10 Best Place To Visit in India in Summer
Known as The Queen of Hills, Shimla is the capital of Himachal Pradesh and one of the famous places in India that people like to visit during the summers. It is a well-known destination that captures both India’s magnificence and British elegance.
This hill station is one of the best places to visit in India as you not only get to enjoy beautiful views but also get to explore some thrilling experiences. While the winters are all about the white sheets of snow, the summers are about getting relief from the intense heat. Even though it’s a small city, Shimla has a lot to offer. If you’re looking to visit Shimla during the summers, here’s what you must see and do:
- The Ridge of Shimla: Located on the Mall Road of Shimla, it is a popular tourist place that offers breathtaking views of the snow-clad mountains against blue skies. When at the British Summer Capital, do visit Kufri, also known as the Switzerland of the East for its beauty and adventure sports like skiing and hiking.
- Ice Skating: If you’re an adventure lover, you must visit the open air ice-skating rink in Shimla. It is a popular adventure sport here that lures a lot of tourists.
- River Rafting: Another popular sport at this summer destination is river rafting. The beautiful, free-flowing rivers of Shimla are a great host to people who want to try something adventurous like rafting in the cold waters of Himachal.
Best time to visit in Summers: March to June
For everyone who’s ever asked ‘which are the best places to visit in summer in India, there’s always someone who has said, “Manali!”. The beautiful Himalayan landscape, the Beas river, the magnificent valleys with snow-capped mountains, and of course the dense green forests combine to make Manali one of the most beautiful destinations for honeymoon & family trips in India. So, if you’re a solo traveler or seeking to go on an adventurous trip with friends, you must visit Manali.
Among all the places you can visit, there are the Buddhist Monasteries, the Temples, the Great Himalayan National Park, Solang Valley, the Rohtang Pass and so much more. Manali offers many adventure activities for your adventurous soul. Doesn’t this make Manali the best place to visit in India?
One of the best places to visit in January in India, Manali is home to the Manikaran Sahib Gurudwara, known for its hot spring. On the other hand, the Hidimba Devi Temple is the holy shrine of the Demon Goddess.
Some of the best places to visit when in Manali are:
- Solang Valley
- Mall Road
- Rohtang Pass
- Beas Kund
- Manu Temple
Did we just hear you ask, ‘Best tourist places in India?’ Well then, Darjeeling is calling out to you!
Darjeeling, nestled in the lap of the North East Himalayas, is India’s most beautiful hill station. The Queen of Hills attracts a lot of domestic and international tourists and is a quick getaway to other destinations like Sikkim, Meghalaya, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and Bhutan (from North-East India).
When the British left, they left behind mock-Tudor homes and Gothic churches that sit along with Buddhist temples and shrines from when Darjeeling was a part of Nepal. When you visit the market, you’ll be mesmerized by the bright fabrics that are woven by the Tibetans and sold alongside the Bhutanese merchants.
Another reason why Darjeeling is considered one of the best places to visit in India is because of the beautiful weather, the places to see and the things to do. Walk up the Observatory Hill in Darjeeling and enjoy the mesmerizing views of the forest, rock and snow of the mountains across the skyline from the summit.
The wooden-fronted bookshops and tea emporiums that line the Chowrasta Mall (The Mall to locals) lie just a few steps from the temple.
When talking about the best tourist places in India and the places to visit in summer, how can one forget to mention Kashmir? The serene trio of Gulmarg, Srinagar, and Pahalgam are a must visit. The nearest airport is Srinagar and the nearest railway station is Jammu. From lakes, houseboats to hills and gardens, Kashmir has everything to offer. Cruise in the waters of Dal Lake and enjoy the views. It is considered to be one of the most popular tourist attractions. Kashmir is also home to Nagin Lake and Mansabal Lake, making it another best place to visit in India.
This place is not just about views, it has other offerings as well. If you’re an adventurer, then you must try skiing in Gulmarg. On the other hand, you can trek through the famous Great Lakes. Pahalgam is the hub of adventurous activities like paragliding and skiing. With friendly locals, beautiful artifacts, delicious food and mesmerizing views, Kashmir is the next best place to visit in India during summer.
- Shiv Khori: Located about 100 kilometres from Jammu, Shiv Khori is a natural cave. Many tourists flock to this cave during the summer months. As a result of its form, it is widely known as a shivling, which is believed to be a representation of the mighty Lord Shiva. On the roof of this mesmerizing and holy cave are pictures of Sheshnag, a Hindu snake god.
- Gondola Ride: Gulmarg is home to the second highest Gondola Ride. It offers magnificent panoramic views of the landscapes. As you go higher, enjoy the mesmerizing views of the snow-clad mountains. Safe to say that if someone questions you, “Which is the coolest place in India during summer?”, you can answer, “Kashmir!”
Munnar is a dream destination for tourists and one of the best places to visit in India. With an altitude of 1600 meters above sea level, Munnar offers views of mesmerizing landscapes, making it one of the best hill stations in Kerala. If you’re thinking to yourself, ‘Where should I go for summer in India?’, then we have the answer for you – Munnar!
Munnar is known for its lush greenery environment. Head to this place and enjoy the various tea plantations, beautiful waterfalls, lush meadows and the absolute beauty of nature. If you’re a tea lover, learn the entire process of making tea and indulge in authentic dishes while you visit.
The most visited places in Munnar are:
- Eravikulam National Park: This national park is located along the Western Ghats, and is home to Nilgai tahr and 26 other mammal species. There are 132 varieties of birds and 19 types of amphibians in the park.
- Top Station: The top location on the Kannan Devan Hills is called the Top Station which offers a scenic view to everyone visiting. Not only is this place a fortress of rich flora but the famous Neelakurinji flower is said to bloom here every 12 years.
- Echo Point: It is a popular picnic spot for locals and tourists. The area is usually seen full of people strolling around and enjoying the lush greenery.
- Mattupetty Dam: The Mattupetty Dam is a beautiful and ideal place for a family picnic, trekking and meeting new people.
- Kundala: This place is popularly known as a treasure for travellers as it has the Kundala lake, tea plantations, and a golf course.
- Elephant Lake: Well, as the name suggests, the Elephant Lake is where the magnificent mammals come for a bath. And even though this place is 22KMs away from Munnar, it is a popular tourist attraction and you must just not miss it.
So, don’t miss out on the best place to visit in India and book your tickets to Munnar today!
Taking a summer vacation? Don’t forget to get our Travel Map mobile cover to protect your phone from any external damage and fall.
The dream destination of bikers and adventure lovers, Ladakh is a beauty and attracts a lot of tourists. The blue waters of Pangong Lake, the snow-clad mountains and the bike road trips are a lifetime experience that one must not miss. Did you know that Leh is the joint capital with Kargil?
If you love adventures, you could include the activities like trekking, hiking, camping, etc. And if you do decide to go trekking, here are the trekking essentials you’ll need.
The Chadar Trek and the Snow Leopard Trek are among the most popular there. Don’t forget to head out to the Siachen base camp to witness the absolute beauty of our country and the hardship of the Indian Army on the world’s highest battlefield. Ladakh also happens to be a great place to visit in summer in India with friends
So, gather your friends and don’t forget to update your travel checklist as per your travel needs.
Another popular and one of the best places to visit in India is Mahabaleshwar. A popular destination for honeymooners and family vacations, Mahableshwar is at an altitude of 1438 meters and has beautiful landscapes to offer. Magnificent green scenery, cool breezes and some amazing water bodies.
Did you know the Krishna River that flows through Maharashtra, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh originates from Mahableshwar? Apart from this, Venna Lake is another popular tourist attraction that is filled with colourful boats and lined with greenery.
Thanks to the evergreen views, Wayanad is called ‘God’s Own Country. A trip to Wayanad is sure to be a trip full of memories. The waterfalls, historical caves, exciting wildlife and so many more things It is considered one of the most beautiful hill stations, Wayanad is a must-visit place!
Spice plantations and tea estates along with elephant watching and sanctuary visits are what you must look forward to in Wayanad.
A ski resort and hill station in Uttarakhand, Auli, is one of the best places to visit in India if you love skiing or the cool weather. This place is full of snow sports where you can enjoy the view of mountains, beautiful surroundings, cook weather and so much more.
Though many believe it’s the perfect honeymoon destination, let us shed some light on how this could also be a good destination for a trip with friends.
Artificial lakes, temples and trekking spots are the key highlights of Auli. What’s more, is that they have lively markets and serve delicious food. So when you think about which places to visit in summer in India, it has to be Auli!
10. Jim Corbett
Another one of the best places to visit in India and a popular summer tourist place is the Jim Corbett National Park. Full of wildlife adventure and natural beauty, Jim Corbett is ideal for a long stay with friends or family.
The safari tours, adventure activities, fishing opportunities, bird watching tours and the scenic natural beauty are major reasons you must include this place in your list of places to visit in summer in India with friends. It’s your chance to witness the beauty and create unforgettable memories with your loved ones.
If you think it’s too late for this list now, don’t worry, save this article and visit it in a few months to plan the best trip of the year with your loved ones. Some of the best places to visit in India are around us, let’s get there! And, no matter where you decide to go, here’s a travel bag buying guide for you!